1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tah-dah! My top is done.

 

top finished 1

I thought I would still be madly sewing on Wednesday but I actually finished my top Friday night. I’d lost the patch that goes over the sewing block so I had started making it again, I hand pieced all these sections so that was going to add some time. Anyway, decided to have another search, & found it, yay, so I was able to get it all together. I was actually surprised at how big the top is, I just love it! Note the sun was out when I went out to photograph my top but by the time I prised ds off his laptop the sun had gone.

top left cornerleft sidetop right corner

I also stumbled towards the end as I wanted to replace the butterfly block but couldn’t decide what to put. I then remembered a freebie block offered by Bustle & Sew last year so I dug it out, resized it, & voila! I do love the seaside, it somehow makes me calm, lol, I should live there in that case!!!!!

middlelower right

I have really enjoyed working with everyone on this quilt through the year. I don’t sew with anybody so you are all my quilt group. I’ve loved looking at everyone’s work & seeing how you have interpreted the blocks & the great range of colours you’ve all chosen. I’ve certainly been inspired by the work of others & I would never had got this far without the group. I really hope Chooky decides to launch another quilt for us all to work on.

Thank you Chooky for all the encouragement & really very gentle whip cracking. The countdown of days in emails has been invaluable these past few weeks.

I can’t wait to choose some backing, I’ll be checking my stash today, so I can get it layered & start quilting. I also plan to add buttons & beads to some of the blocks, buttons for the centre of flowers & beads for the seagulls eye & the heads of the pins in the pin cushion. There is also a string of bunting to go on my caravan. Maybe this time next year it will all be finished. :-)

7 comments:

suzitee said...

WOOOHOOO! SO excited to see another quilt top finished...and yours is stunning! I love the pops of aqua, and how you've personalised some of your blocks. Great job Jan!

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Great to see another top finished. Well done xx

Chookyblue...... said...

Jan your quilt looks great.....love the changes in some of the blocks you made too.......

so pleased you have enjoyed the encouragement, whip cracking and countdowns i have done.......sometimes I think I am talking to myself........so I am pleased to hear you benefited from it.......

goodluck Jan with your quilting.........hope you share pics when it is all done.........

Susan said...

Jan - it looks great - love the red & aqua and the seagull, is just gorgeous ...mmm I should have done a beach/salt air block too...oh well - next time???? LOL

Theresa said...

Fantastic job, I love the seaside block and the colours that you've used.

nimble thimble stitchery-do said...

You have done it! Way to go! I agree the whip and countdown did it for me too! I love your seaside block...that does remind me of Ausie!

Seams Sew Together said...

Gorgeous!!